An Overview of L.A. Love & Leashes
L.A. Love & Leashes is an adoption space that is 100% dedicated to animals from Los Angeles’ six city animal shelters. Created by the non-profit Friends of L.A. Animal Shelters, L.A. Love & Leashes is located inside Healthy Spot, Santa Monica and reaches large numbers of people who would not otherwise visit our city shelters.
Each morning, the staff of the Los Angeles Animal Services West LA shelter drives dogs and cats to us, greeting the store staff with between 5-8 dogs and 5-6 cats. The dogs and cats who come to the store are housed at the West LA shelter, but are chosen from all of the LAAS shelters.
L.A. Love & Leashes is funded by donations. Adoption fees are the same as those charged at the city shelters, and 100% of the adoption fees go daily back to the shelter.
- High Traffic, Welcoming Location in L.A.’s Westside located inside Healthy Spot, Santa Monica.
- Changing Perceptions about “Shelter Pets.” Through direct interaction with the wonderful dogs and cats we’re privileged to have at L.A. Love & Leashes every day, as well as conversations with our staff and volunteers, we’re able to improve public perceptions about the animals waiting for homes in our city shelters and change some still-held stereotypes. After talking with our staff, many people also go directly to the nearly West L.A. city shelter to adopt there.
- 100% Animal Welfare Focus. The fundamental focus of L.A. Love & Leashes is to help our city shelters save lives by increasing the number of animals adopted. All adoption fees go straight to the city shelters, which means that donations (which are much needed and incredibly appreciated), together with merchandise sales, are the sole means of support for the store.
- “Mutts” and Seniors (Plus All Sorts of Breeds). Unlike traditional pet stores, L.A. Love & Leashes does not focus on breed or age. While dogs and cats of any number of breeds can be found in city shelters (including pure-breds, much to the surprise of many), most of the dogs the shelter chooses for the store are “mutts” – and all are beautiful. We’ve also successfully placed a number of senior dogs and cats, and those adoptions are particularly heartwarming.
- A Program of Friends of L.A. Animal Shelters, a Volunteer-Run 501(c)(3) Non-Profit. L.A. Love & Leashes is a program of Friends of L.A. Animal Shelters, a volunteer-run non-profit dedicated to helping Los Angeles Animal Services increase adoptions and raise the live save rate for the 50,000+ animals that are taken in by our city shelters each year.
11am-6pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
(Closed Tuesdays + Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day and 4th of July)