An Overview of L.A. Love & Leashes
L.A. Love & Leashes is the first “shelter shop” that is 100% dedicated to animals from Los Angeles’ six city animal shelters. Created by the non-profit Friends of L.A. Animal Shelters, L.A. Love & Leashes is located in the Westside Pavilion shopping center, and is a high traffic adoption and education venue reaching large numbers of people who would not otherwise visit our city shelters.
L.A. Love & Leashes is funded by donations and the sale of pet-related merchandise. Adoption fees are the same as those charged at the city shelters, and 100% of the adoption fees go daily back to the shelter.
- High Traffic, Welcoming Location in L.A.’s Westside. Located in the very popular Westside Pavilion mall, L.A. Love & Leashes is on the first floor, across from Victoria’s Secret and close to Nordstrom’s. Eight million people visit the Westside Pavilion annually.
- Changing Perceptions about “Shelter Pets.” Through direct interaction with the wonderful dogs and cats we’re privileged to have at L.A. Love & Leashes every day, as well as conversations with our staff and volunteers, we’re able to improve public perceptions about the animals waiting for homes in our city shelters and change some still-held stereotypes. After talking with our staff, many people also go directly to the nearly West L.A. city shelter to adopt there.
- 100% Animal Welfare Focus. The fundamental focus of L.A. Love & Leashes is to help our city shelters save lives by increasing the number of animals adopted. All adoption fees go straight to the city shelters, which means that donations (which are much needed and incredibly appreciated), together with merchandise sales, are the sole means of support for the store.
- “Mutts” and Seniors (Plus All Sorts of Breeds). Unlike traditional pet stores, L.A. Love & Leashes does not focus on breed or age. While dogs and cats of any number of breeds can be found in city shelters (including pure-breds, much to the surprise of many), most of the dogs the shelter chooses for the store are “mutts” – and all are beautiful. We’ve also successfully placed a number of senior dogs and cats, and those adoptions are particularly heartwarming.
- A Program of Friends of L.A. Animal Shelters, a Volunteer-Run 501(c)(3) Non-Profit. L.A. Love & Leashes is a program of Friends of L.A. Animal Shelters, a volunteer-run non-profit dedicated to helping Los Angeles Animal Services increase adoptions and raise the live save rate for the 50,000+ animals that are taken in by our city shelters each year.
11am-7pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday